Friday, February 24, 2006

The Solar Tea Party



I awakened early but not before Youster had my water warming over the fire. I took my green container outside and used a blue plastic pitcher from the house to scoop out enough hot water to fill the basin half way. I topped it up with water from the drums on the verandah until the temperature was just right. In the shower room I poured a pitcher of water over my head then lathered with the biodegradable shampoo bar I brought with me. I rinsed, then repeated the procedure. My hair squeaked. Next I drizzled water down by body then used my bar of oatmeal soap and gently scrubbed all over with my hands. Yesterday’s dust washed down my body as I rinsed from head to toe until all the soap was flowing through the small hole in the floor. I felt completely fresh to begin the day. O blessed water in a time of drought. Why do I use so much water in Canada when so little is needed?

After breakfast Baraka and I stopped by Nai’s house. I purchased fresh eggs from the Project TEMBO chickens her family is raising. I paid 200 shillings – about 20 cents - for each egg, which is more than I would pay in Ottawa. I bought five and we headed to the guest house so I could set the solar oven up so it could pre-heat while I was making the cake. No mixing bowl so I used one of the two pans that came with the oven to mix the maize meal, sugar, salt and baking powder with a teaspoon. In one of the three plastic measuring cups I brought with me I stirred the eggs, oil, and water then added this to the dry ingredients. After kneading the mixture with my hands I put it into the lightly greased clean pan, covered it then took it out to the oven sitting in front of the guest house. For the chai I combined milk, bottled water, and sugar then sprinkled a generous layer of tea leaves on top. It only needed a few minutes to cook so I would add it to the oven later.

While the maize cake cooked I stayed near the house knowing the strange looking object out front would attract curious visitors. First some children came over, pointing and laughing as they saw their reflection in the silver panels that reflected the sun into the oven. They were followed by two Maasai warriors. I did my best to explain what was happening using lots of hand gestures and a few English words. I knew what everyone was thinking: What a crazy mzungu (white person)!

I had arranged for the Longido camera group to meet at the guest house at 2:00 p.m. Baraka and I had chosen 12 villagers to participate in a project idea I brought with me. I wanted the people in our villages to tell their own story through photos – theirs, not mine. To do this I brought along 12 disposable cameras. Today’s meeting was with the Longido group, to be followed by one in Kimokouwa. Baraka translated as I explained that I wanted them to photograph anything they wanted to tell the people of Canada about their life in Tanzania – what makes them happy or sad, what they dream or hope for – it was entirely up to them. Next we explained how to use the cameras. Some were familiar, others had never seen one before. We took our time making sure everyone understood how to use their camera then reminded them they needed to return the cameras to us in 24 hours. Now it was tea time.

I had added the chai to the sun oven before we began our meeting so it was ready to serve. People from the ADP came over to join the photographers. Only one minor problem – no cups. They were locked in a room in the guest house and we had no key. I brought a travel mug from Ottawa to use in my room and found another plastic mug in the house. And we had the three clear plastic measuring cups. These would have to do. I washed them in soapy water then began pouring. Wow! It tasted just like chai. Then I uncovered the cake and everyone was completely amazed. I did a spontaneous happy dance. It looked fabulous. As I began cutting it with my only utensil, a teaspoon, it began to crumble. More moisture and maybe one more egg next time. Experimentation would be necessary since solar cooking is different that conventional cooking. But the flavour was great and I was pleased. My first solar tea party was a success. (In the photo above Baraka and Joe, from the ADP, sample the chai.)

In the evening I was invited to supper by four women from the U.S. who had come to Tanzania to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. Part of their climbing itinerary had changed because of the recent mudslide on Kili, so they had come to Longido to do a cultural tour of Maasailand. They were interested in the work Project TEMBO is doing and wondered how they could help the people, too. They also had good questions about how education will change the Maasai culture. We had a good discussion about providing, not imposing, options, and about things in Maasai culture that many Maasai themselves believe need to be changed. Like FGM. Afterwards the women walked me up the hill to the guest house and in no time I was settled into bed.

No comments: